Saturday, May 31, 2008

I Love You , Dad

This one is for my father, who introduced me to Mike Oldfield when I was ten and Tubular Bells II came out. I know you read this.

He got me TB I after I enjoyed TB II, and when when TB III came out I was entranced, and took it across the world with me.

This video is a very small pastiche of TB III.

"And the Man in the Rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, Far Above the Clouds, and nothing was ever heard of him again, except for the sound of Tube - You - Lah - Bells "....





The sight of Big Ben at the end is no accident, of course. Mr Oldfield wanted the last clang to be exactly at the same time as Big Ben chimed Ten ( Big Ben is the name of the Bell in the tower, not the tower!)

Mike Oldfield has such a distinctive style of guitar playing that I can now tell if it is him or not just by listening. The reason is that he uses his fingers sideways, not parallel, to the guitar arm. It is quite unique and no-one else does it.

And all this thanks to my Father, Yoshi.

Thank You Dad!

2 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Strikes me as a spectacular event to be at. I can see this is a highly creative work, filled with dedicated and talented people. I do not recall if I have ever seen this performed before or heard the music.

If I were looking for something different to listen to from what I usually prefer, this would be a good choice. However, normally, I think I would reject this and move to something else. It is "being in the right mood for it" music to me. Perhaps where we are born and what we are exposed to early in life in the way of music may somehow fix what we will go on to prefer; I am not sure.

I will be sure to come back to listen to it again, but there is a lot of music I personally like better. That's okay though, I believe in expanding my musical horizons. Even more, it is nice to know what other people like. It is powerful music. At least I can understand why a lot of people would love this music. Maybe it will grow on me. Afterall, I have only heard it once. Did like that Big Ben ending, thanks for explaining that or I might have missed that it was actually old Big Ben chiming in as a member of the band. Nice timing!

Wyman Stewart said...

Must come back to say, Thanks to You and your Dad. Who knows if I would have ever heard this, despite hearing of Mike Oldfield for years now, if not for you two. Thanks again.