Saturday, May 10, 2008

Now When I'm Smiling I Know Why.......




Perfect Day, Perfect Night,

Perfect Song, Mr. Right...?

5 comments:

H'Am Not-so-Solo said...

I have hear tell that Akiko is cold emotionally. Here's proof of the opposite

Wyman Stewart said...

Goodbye hope.

Wyman Stewart said...

Having finally listened to the song, I have an opinion. I kept wishing it was Karen Carpenter singing the lyrics, for it sounded like the kind of song she was very good at singing. Yet, as it is, it is sentimental and romantic. Call me strange if you like, but I did not like at all the "I would die for you" phrase, for that almost ruined everything else for me. It is not that I don't think there are such love relationships, for I believe you could say this about almost any marriage that stands the test of time. In this song it seemed an incongruous addition, despite the depth of love this is meant to convey. Then too, I find in life, except for the kind of marriage mentioned above, any person saying they would die for someone wouldn't do that. It is an expression of wishful thinking of a love that does not last. This is the kind of expression which irritates me.

Okay, what we have here is an attempt at human expression, using the best available source one can find to give expression to one's feelings. I have no problem with those real feelings. I would love for every human being to feel that way. However, as art, the video failed to move me in some ways and insulted my sense of reality in another way.

This only goes to show, as Rick Nelson sang in "Garden Party": "You can't please everyone you want, so you've got to please yourself" or words to that effect. If you did that, then for a moment you presented us with Eden. If you didn't, then you wouldn't have posted it. I like the Garden of Eden, so I am sorry I did not fully see it in this video. Still, because of the person who posted it, I am going to listen to it one more time before I leave. I believe in love.

AkiToo said...

This song was one of the last Karen ever recorded, and was only released after her death ont eh "Voice of the Heart" album. Yes, I included it for myself, as it is how I feel right NOW, as opposed to before.

Wyman Stewart said...

Well, this old fool stands corrected, for a bit of research tells me it is Karen Carpenter singing the song "Now". I was never a Carpenters fan until after Karen Carpenter died. She seemed like a decent enough human being, I took to listening to her songs when they came on the radio, out of respect and to try to get an idea about who she was as a person.

From that point on, I began to find she did some songs I truly enjoy. Obviously "Now" is not one of them, but apparently it was the last song she ever recorded if my research has been correct. Hopefully, if she would have had more time to work on the song, she would have improved on what I heard or maybe she was no longer healthy enough to sing as well as she once had.

Although she died of a true medical illness, I will always believe she died in part due to a broken heart she suffered from a break-up with a guy she loved. That too is what led me to listen more closely to her music, for I feel her feelings were wrapped up in many of the songs she did. Possibly the song I like best by her is called "Yesterday's Songs", which is about Oldies music. I hope that's the name of the song I am thinking of. When I finally really listened to it and truly heard the lyrics, I was touched by the fact she and I had Oldies music in common. That endeared me to her, although she was no longer in this world. Though I prefer the original by Herman's Hermits, the one song she did that I know the name of and liked by her was,"There's A Kind of Hush", another very sentimental love song. I am sorry she never found the true love she needed. She seemed like a nice, decent human being.

I hope you don't mind me expressing these thoughts. I will never be able to forget, it took her death for me to appreciate her music. That should not have been the case, but I will always be glad, I finally took the time to hear what she had to say. She said some very interesting things. You could not find a better person to express your feelings in music when it comes to love than Karen Carpenter. I still wish she had sounded better on "Now", but I did recognize it was her kind of song. I miss her. Thank you, Karen Carpenter. (Maybe she did "Now" just for you. I am not certain, but I believe it was released the year you were born.) Sigh!!!