Monday, June 02, 2008

How Old Are You? "I'm Twenteen"

Part of my repertoire is teaching English to Korean kids. I get the odd "How old are you?" - "I am fine" responses, but this clip is far funnier.

It is part of a TV show broadcast from Manila at 1300 daily called "Wowowee". It is very popular because it gives the poorer people a chance to earn some hard cash by "performing" on camera. Last time I was in Manila there was a stampede to get onto the show in the queue outside the TV station, several people being hurt.

Although English is widely understood in the Philippines, and is the official business language, the poorer people do not know the language as well as they should because education is expensive there. In this section, a young girl has to hold a conversation in English in order to earn her prize money.

It is very funny. Please note that ther presenter and the audience are not laughing AT her, but WITH her. Another presenter of nickname RR (the one in pink below), gives the line above, and is even less knowledgeable than the contestant! She also says " I have been there once. But not twice"

Whenever I am in Manila, this is the show I like to see, along with Who Wants to be a Millionaire (in Taglish).

Enjoy!




My thanks to Raquel for providing this feature. Coincidentally, the girl has the same birthday as Yuko, my cousin!

No comments: