Friday, June 13, 2008

Gedanken for the Memory part 3

There's more. IF a space station that big is ever built( and a couple of light days across is PRETTY big!), as was intimated, the broom would have to be at least a couple of dozen light-hours long to even feel the ceiling curving towards it.

The question now changes - would you be able to see this far such detail with the naked eye?

The answer is a resounding "No!", assuming it was of zero weight of course( is this assumption number 3 or just unrealistic?)

My first thought upon realising this was "Is this some sort of limiting principle, akin to the uncertainty principle, whereby in order to "see" the broom hit the ceiling, you'd be too far away that the resolution of the eye prevented the viewing?" But then I remembered telescopes. But then I also remembered that light would take up to 12-24 hours to reach you to tell you of the event. Is this relevant also? Had I hit upon an undiscovered principle here without knowing it?

I was right in the first place...there IS more to this than meets the eye...

Here's another one; What if the broom was curved just enough to allow for the curve of the station? then what?

Well, you would push it all the way around the station, and it would poke you in the back (or bum in my case) . Would you feel it or see it first?

And then there's the problem that the actual critical radius is along the middle of the corridor, ie, you are not actually looking along it.

More to come, I think!

No comments: