When the home computer industry was in its infancy (25 years ago), games players were considered fortunate to play a game that required only 48Kb. RAM of memory. They were played on a normal TV and the controller option was the keyboard, usually the arrow keys, or, if you are lucky, OPQA. Primitive, huh?
In short, limited gameplay, bad and tiny graphics with equally bad resolution, with keyboard control.
Nowadays, with quad-core pcs and more games consoles than actual games, you CAN play decent games. BUT what do the "trendy" peeps do? Get games for their phones, of course!
These also have limited gameplay (they don't download Halo 3 , do they?), with tiny graphics (hey! it's on a phone!), and are keyboard controlled (unless you have seen a phone with a joystick).
Sound familiar? Yes, you are right, we are back where we where 25 years ago, only this time they are called "phone games". No-one calls these "primitive" because the are the "latest stuff"!!!!
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Phone "Games"
Attested by
AkiToo
at
10/14/2007 07:19:00 am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I will defer to you experts, but I am aware marketing/hype is often the Real Game being played on the public to fleece them of their money. Indeed, "being fashionable" may be the greatest game ever created for fleecing people. I would not be surprised if Game Theory proves to explain this fleecing someday. In fact, I have read in the future we may even need to create laws on what marketers can and can not do to create a buying need in the public.
Having said all that, except for a hit the leprechaun with snowballs game someone once e-mailed to me, which is fun and addictive in its primitive way, I believe the only computer games I have ever played were both on a Radio Shack TRS 80 computer. One was the well-known Pac Man. The other was an old real world trick of reversing the order of a set of rings using 3 posts, which neither the owner of the computer, nor an intelligent friend of mine were able to do, but I accomplished in a short time, when taking up where they left off. Otherwise, to my knowledge, I have never chosen to play computer games. You may recall the TRS-80 was among the first desktop computers affordable enough for the general public to invest in, since that is how buying a computer was once seen by buyers.
Today, I am sure there are many excellent computer games that are challenging, educational, and fun to play. I suppose I am making a mistake by not engaging in some of these games. My original reason for buying a computer was to immerse myself in self-educational software, for my work hours prevented me from going back to college, even part time. I have rarely used the software I have because I discovered the ability to chat with people from around the world, which is a great form of education, and I do a lot of online research on whatever subject strikes my fancy.
Despite the value and importance of properly designed computer games, I continue to shun them because of how much one may be wasting money. In fact, I hope to one day use software that allows me to be personally creative, which is where I think most young people should be. Maybe every age for that matter. So, keep blasting the hype, for someone should. Thanks for allowing me to articulate how I got to be this way. I do not even own a cellphone yet. I am just a dinosaur. A marketer's nightmare.
Please feel free to delete this entire comment if you feel it is too off subject.
If that is the case then it is truly amazing that South Korea has ever progressed.
All the kids dress the same, the adults act the same, all the pop musicians sing and dance the same way, if there is a 'trend' in clothing, everybody has one, and 99.99% of all cars there are either silver or black.
"it is false to assume all organsims remain static" Your quote, Richard.
I assume nothing, nor judge anyone. I was making an observation. People who already read this blog know that there is no opinion here (apart from when I say "SUBJECTIVE POST").
The stuff about Korea was not an assumption, but words based on what I saw over 5 years.
You freely admit to knowing very little about Koreans.
I can tell you now, that Korean men DO NOT talk a lot, and your Japanese friend was probably biased anyway as our countries have been in a war on words for years. Do a Google on the island of Dokdo for instance
Science has always ignored such boundaries and as such, you are WRONG about Korea.
Aki,
The lastest stuff is just around the corner. You should check out the newest thing coming for cell phones in 2009 ,a laser projector imbedded into the phone,projecting a SVGA 30" image. Halo3 on the go. Way cool, hey? http://www.mvis.com/
I concur with what Aki has said on South Korea and North Korea, although I can not speak on living in either Korea. Still, I have read enough, met enough Koreans in America, and have long had an interest in Korea that has given me some insights on this area of the world.
I had to remove what was becoming a blog within a blog on the Koreas, so strong are my "opinions" about the two Koreas. I respect Koreans and have a high regard for them. They have earned it.
You can look up most of what one should know on the two Koreas online, I am sure. I have long read of the legitimate complaints against the Japanese that Koreans have made and demonstrated to be true. I greatly admire and respect the Japanese people, but accept there was a time when they were not the people they are today.
I trust this was a kind soul who needs to do a little research. Despite how South Koreans may dress or what they drive, I find them to be individuals. Maybe historical events conditioned their culture in many ways that relate to survival and prosperity. However, I will leave that to Aki, who has lived there.
I hope this is not too much. It is much less than what I first wrote and less spirited. Respect South Korea; for now, pity North Korea.
Post a Comment