Saturday, October 06, 2007

Five Clues........One for each 10 of the 50 comments.

At most, you have between you, three of these original five correct. here are some clues to help you along.....


1) You have two coins in your pocket that add up to 26 cents. One of them is not a quarter. What are the coins? (easy)
Clue: It's a play on words.

2) A cylindrical hole 6 inches long is drilled straight through the center of a solid sphere. What is the volume remaining in the sphere? (hard)
Clue: This can be solved in 3 ways, from hardest to easiest........calculus, algebra, logic.

3) Three rabbits are crossing the road, a busy road. A father rabbit, a mother rabbit, and a baby rabbit. Suddenly the strong father rabbit sees a chance, takes up baby in his arm, and drags the mother rabbit by the other hand across the road. They arrive there without injury. The baby rabbit then says "Thank you daddy, for getting all two of us across the road safely" Please explain. (medium)
Clue: You need lateral thinking.

4) You have three cards, (two aces and a queen), all face down. You are asked to find the queen, and you are asked to pick one card only. Then , the magician looks at them all, and promptly turns face up , an ace. What is the probability that your card is the queen? (hard)
Clue: the answer is counter-intuitive.

5) A snail falls into a well which is 20 meters deep. He starts to climb up immediately, and in the daytime, he goes three meters up, but at night falls two meters back again. Assuming he starts the ascent at dawn on the first day, how many days is it before he emerges? (easy)
Clue: This is math plus a little bit of logic.

Try again, guys, and I MAY continues with the left-right conundrum (if not, then you get a sharp rap on the (left-right) knuckles) .

5 comments:

AkiToo said...

Yes, but where is the reasoning, man?

Four and a half out of five correct answers. but if I were marking reasoning as well, maybe one half out of 5. For all I know , you were guessing!

Number 6, although you came to a correct conclusion, the question is by no means solved.

AkiToo said...

That last was to David. Any others?

sww said...

Aki,

Clearly there is a difference between left and right because they are in different locations and can never be in the same location.

The fact they are identical apart from their location indicates that space is the foundation for everything else; perhaps that all bodies and interactions are formed by motion waves in space.

But I don’t know a thing what I am talking about and am keenly waiting your correct answer.

Wyman Stewart said...

emerge-1. To rise up or come forth from or as from immersion; come into sight. 2. To become obvious. 3. To come into existence. Taken from the American Heritage Dictionary.

I did not sit down and work out the math, but I am wondering, given the definitions above, does it seem to you--our kind host--that depending on how one wishes to interpret the meaning of "emerge" in the snail question, it might make a difference to the answer? Would the answer be different if emerge means the whole snail is atop the well, as opposed to his head sticking out of the well, while the rest of his body lies out of sight due to not being above the well's rim?

I noticed in a similar problem concerning a frog, it was stated the "back legs of the frog emerge from the well" as a means of clarifying emerge in the frog's case. Does this make a difference to the answer? If so, is it possible the snail question actually has two possible answers based on not defining whether it is the head or the tail that defines emerge.

Sorry, while trying to make myself clear, I have probably thrown up a fog, if not a frog. I apologize for not doing the math before proposing this question. Having seen the frog question brought this to mind, but I was already dwelling on whether the word emerge was too undefined to yield an unequivocal answer to this question. Thank you, if you choose to reply.

P.S.--Now I am wondering if emerge is different when it is snail, frog, or man, so this problem might depend on what is emerging. Oh my head!!!

sww said...

Have the answers been left right out?