Sunday, October 28, 2007

How many did you get?

First batch:

Alpha) If an airplane gets 'lift' from its wings, how can it fly upside down?

In the case where there are no airlons, and attachments to adjust the "angle of attack", and airplane with just wing-shaped wings is impossible to fly upside down, as "lift" would trurn into"drop".

Bethe) If I toss a coin onto the nearest table, why is the probability that it will be heads NOT 1/2?

The probability that a coin toss onto a table (NOT the hand) is NOT 1/2 because of the possibility, however unlikely, that it will land on edge and stay there.

Gamow) What is the probability that YOU have more then the average number of limbs?

The probability that YOU have more than the average number of limbs is so close to unity, it makes no difference. Recalling that the "average number of limbs" is simply the total number of limbs divided by the number of people counted, the answer is almost certainly 3.99999999 and not 4, as some people will NOT have 4 limbs. Also, there will almost certainly be more people with less than 4 , than people with more than 4, so this makes the "average" just less than 4.

Second Batch:

1. What is the only word in the English language to have two consecutive "I"s?

Skiing.

2. What is the only word in the English language to have 4 (whoops - 3) sets of consecutive double letters?

Bookkeeper

3. What is the longest word in English with no vowels?

Rhythms

4. What is the only word in the English language that changes pronunciation when captialtised?

"to polish" means to make something shine or to clean; "to be Polish" means being from the country of Poland.

5. True or false: " This sentence is false."

The sentence is neither true nor false. This is a veritable can of worms. I have already written a post about the implications ", viz: ( This sentence is false......? )

6. True or false: "Thes sentence has foure mistokes in it. "

True. There are four mistakes, the fourth being that the number you can see is three, whilst it says "four".

7. True or false : "This sentence is six words long if it were six words shorter. "

True. Take the last six words away, it becomes another sentence of six words.

8. True or false: "This plong contains many non-braspish English doodocks but the overall klerpendall can be spackried from the context."

True. translation" This sentence contains many non-standard English words, but the overall meaning can be inferred from the context"

Apologies for number 2. I put this forward as proof that I do not "search" for any of these.

8 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

First batch:
Alpha) Aha, I thought without all those parts it might be something we could call a glider, and gliders to my knowledge, indeed do not fly upside down. Thanks, it is like you read my mind after I researched that!

Bethe) Wonder if there has ever been a recorded case of a coin standing on edge, as in your example, where the surface of a flat table had no other objects, to allow the coin to stand on end?

Gamow) Limey limbs!!! Does this mean the average limb person is unique? Strange days indeed!!!

Second batch:
1. Okay, agree skiing is one, but we can't count Hawaii too?

2. Subbookkeeper has four, but I looked it up. If you want to say 3, then in addition to bookkeeper, may I offer Mississippi, Tennessee, and I think there are others. (Born in the USA!!!) I didn't look those two up.

3. No regular vowels, for y is a vowel here.

4. Polish me Polish shoes! Forgot to look into that one!

5. AGREE! AGREE!! Indeterminate.

6. Got it right, for the wrong reason. Oops!

7. Alright!!! Agreed again.

8. Got this one too, although my translation was different since I tried rephrasing it by replacing each garbled word with a word equal in number of letters to the one replaced, (for fun).

Was this too easy since I got most of them or managed to look up a couple of them? Not to mention not many replied. Thanks though.

AkiToo said...

Perhaps I should have said "nouns", although I did say "consecutive" double letters. Your States do not qualify on either count, Wyman. I was NOT born there.

Wyman Stewart said...

:-( Okay, I admit I was a bit dippi when I mentioned Mississippi and did not see when I mentioned Tennessee that clearly I was wrong, but I did find subbookkeeper, which was the 4 you originally asked for. And had Hawaii not two i(s) I might never have spied states to state in my reply.

:-( But now I know "Born in the USA" is another way of saying colonist, which makes me more dumb ox than Oxfordian or Cambridgean.

:-( Still, I have hope, for I find Webster's Dictionary thinks there is such a word as "waterskiing",--there's two i(s) again--but neither of my two American dictionaries have snowskiing, since that is obviously two words, which skiing implies. Now, if you do not accept Hawaii, should you accept waterskiing? Would seem strange even to me! What's one to make of this language called English? Physics sure is more precise!

:-) Thank you for the corrections and for leading me to new discoveries like waterskiing being one word and subbookkeeper, a word I had never heard of and never expect to use again. Do need to tighten a few loose screws in my brain, though.

sww said...

Sww: What Aki is about to say is false.

Aki: What Sww has just spoken is true.

But this is more likely false, as generally you are accurate and i am not.

Does this have any meaning in relation to the statement: “This sentence is false.” ,

or have I made a faux pas?

AkiToo said...

Wyman: Hawaii is a Proper Noun, waterskiing is a normal noun. Generally the former are disqualified.

Sww:
1. The sentence below is false
2. The sentence above is true

is a two step Strange Loop, whereas "This sentence is false" is a one-step Strange Loop.

Wyman Stewart said...

Would radii be acceptable, though I confess it is plural, which you might choose to judge as a flawed word? Though a verb, taxiing also has two consecutive i(s). My favorite find was anobiid, a type of beetle I had never heard of. Was searching the internet for fun trying to find what I thought was a 3rd. double i word, but think radii was it. Believe I once won $5 finding either 3 or 5 double i words in a contest at work. Was trying to remember them, but couldn't.

Rik said...

An American completely LOST one of his wings (Forgot which aircraft)in a mid air collision

It was claimed it would be IMPOSSIBLE to fly. But he kicked in his afterburner and flew it like a ROCKET (Simply put, it went wherever he pointed it)

AkiToo said...

Well done, Wyman, you have "cooked" me, to use the parlance.

Rik- it WAS a rocket - and they do not need wings to fly.