Monday, March 23, 2009

Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn, Anni-Frid



There was a time when these guys' humanity was put into question, simply because they seemed to be able to do no wrong.

Hit after hit after hit.

They had relationships inside the band, but this was their last greatest hit, in 1981.

"The Winner Takes it All" is a thinly veiled bittersweet account of their last days, when their relationships went sour, especially for Agnetha, the singer here.

Great song, but poignant simply because it can be interpreted on two different levels.

Agnetha, Benny, Bjorn, Anni-Frid...

A B B A

The boys went on to write the music for the musical "C H E S S", in 1986. It ran in London until 1989 at the Prince Edward Theater, near Cambridge Circus.

3 comments:

Wyman Stewart said...

Although I think you are right that this was ABBA's last big hit, my favorite by them to this day is S.O.S. One of those rare songs which truly touched me emotionally, even though there was no reason for it to. Maybe that's quaint today, that such lyrics and music would make a dent on a person's heart, but it did on me.

With the passing of many years "Dancing Queen" and "Fernando" have grown on me, as being much better songs, than when I heard them as hits. :-) They aged well. During their hit years in the USA, I think ABBA fell into two categories, either a person's favorite band or a band one enjoyed, even if another band or two, was one's favorite. Maybe some hated ABBA, but if so, they kept it as a private thought. ABBA seemed popular with everyone.

I am sorry they came to the kind of end they came to. Maybe that is reflected in "The Winner Takes It All", in that, it seems alright, but not up to their past accomplishments. In fact, this is a song I like less today than when it was on the music charts, although this has nothing to do with their break-up; at least on the surface. In some way, I think the emotional end / break-up the song is about, made it into the heart and soul of this song. Therefore, I think unlike the others I mentioned, this song has not aged well. Funny, songs at times seem to have a spirit and soul, all their own.

Thank you. I have not given this song serious thought in a very long time. Now, I think I understand why this song did not age well with me. Still, it is an interesting song. "There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Fernando..." ;-)

AkiToo said...

I don't know where your other comments has gone about me falling behind.

Why do you say that? I posted twice yesterday!

As for how long I have been keeping it, you only have to look at the dates.

Wyman Stewart said...

The other comment on your Words post was not meant to be serious. I was trying to scroll to the end and kept scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. I thought I might not reach the end before I had to stop scrolling. So, I was joking that you had been keeping a notebook, meaning to one day post them, and finally did. All meant as fun. I did not get to check it out yesterday and may not get that chance today, for I am busy. I am the one who is really behind. I hope I catch up soon. Oh, but I am so thankful. You have posted a great variety of posts and I want you to know I appreciate that. I look forward to returning to these wonderful posts soon.