I have a limited amount of chemistry knowledge.
Water is ~ ~ H2O...a liquid at room temperature.
Hydrogen Sulphide is ~ ~ H2S ... a gas at room temperature.
Both Oxygen and Sulphur are in the same group (VI) in the periodic table, yet these substances are so different. Yet they have the same number of outer electrons.
Why is water (H2O), a colorless liquid, essential for life, and yet hydrogen sulphide (H2S) a foul smelling yellow gas?
The latter is lethal, if you cannot smell it.
The former is lethal, if you cannot drink it.
Such a disparity.
Yet so close are these elements in the periodic table.
How can this be so?
Don't be negative on this post!
Feel free to bond any answer you have to the questions posed ( or posted)!
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Water or just "Gas"?
Attested by
AkiToo
at
6/22/2005 09:53:00 am
Labels: Chemistry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
They're both in the same column, and they both have those two electron pairs just sticking out there for the electron-less hydrogen to grab on to. But...
I think it's just that sulfur has a greater mass of protons in its nucleus than does the oxygen. Thus the four unattached electrons in oxygen have less pulling on them from the inside, thus they have more attraction to things on the outside. Thus they are better at attracting the dipoles (?) of hydrogen atoms in passing water molecules.
Something like that. I've taken college chemistry twice, including one time recently so I can finally try to get into med school (Korea has been too much of a distraction). If not that, then finish up that PhD in medical sociology... which is sort of like being a doctor. I hope my parents fall for it.
Yes, Red, I know all about hydrogen-bonding and electronegativity. Did you not get my allusion to it in my last words?
Post a Comment