Has anyone ever wondered what a LASER is?
I think not because all you people do is use them
Light
Amplification
(of)
Stimulated
Emission
(of)
Radiation.
L A S E R
It's Quantum Mechanics again
Einstein is the Father of Quantum Mechanics.
We all use lasers, in the disk drives on our computers. But what are they?
It is just a beam of light, but a little bit different. All the things in there jiggle at the same "jiggliness". Physics term is "resonate".
When you get these things doing it all at the same time, It is called "LASER".
ALL the atoms do it at once!! Star Trek renamed it as "Phaser", But Lord Gene basically got it right.
Without the LASER, no computers would exist, nor the machines calling you to inform you of your latest court cases, nor of the money you do not have.
Makes me think digitally sometimes, but only sometimes, and only on the thirty-third floor!
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Phase...er??
Attested by
AkiToo
at
10/04/2008 05:20:00 am
Labels: Physics
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I feel my birth and life was entertwined with the coming of the laser. I use to know what L.A.S.E.R. meant as a kid. I was fascinated with them, but all I got to do was read about the great men who built and used them. Well, I can't set down all I wish to put here in this connection. Suffice it to say, I think I saw the coming of the handheld calculator in Laboratory form before I ever saw any kind of laser. That was the summer of 1971. Not even sure what year I first encountered a laser; either a CD Player or Laserpointer, probably; well after their invention.
BUT, this brings me to a question: Do you have any thoughts on the M.A.S.E.R.? Have forgotten what the M stands for and I think it was a more radical idea at the time than a laser, but it is all jumbled up in my head now. Funny though you mentioned Phaser, since I have read in recent years sound devices may be more effective at disabling people than light devices. Any thoughts on that too?
Thanks for the post. Funny to think people were once in "awe" of the laser, so now, it is a ho-hum device to most people. Plus, everyone owns at least one laser and one handheld calculator today.
Post a Comment