Monday, October 27, 2008

One is all You Need

This image shows just what anyone can do with a camera if they know how.....




Location, back of the Manhattan Inn, Tacloban City, Philippines, in the laundry room, overlooking the market and the decrepit wharf.

Only in this case, it looked beautiful. This was taken at dusk, at about 6 pm.

I noticed the water vapour from the rainforest forming clouds in the mountains. The shack on the left was perfect, as was the tree on the mountain to the right. So I used natural light, no filters, and waited for the fisherman in the foreground, who started off at extreme left.

17 minutes later, he was where I wanted him, and his presence made the perfect counterpoint to the perspective, as I applied the 2/3 rule to the water/mountains. The film was normal ASA 100 and i steadied the camera on the rail because the shutter speed was less than 1/60. Lens was a normal 50mm, on an aperture of f1.8, so as to get everything in focus.

The result was, as can be seen, quite stunning.

I only took the one. Sometimes you only need the one.


However....this is what the left hand side looks like in the daylight...








To myself...it is just as beautiful.


Smelly, squalid, wretched, decrepit, rancid, and quite simply POOR.


However, I love it anyway.

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Thanks for posting the photo. That is truly a fascinating sight to see and to think about.