Thursday, August 14, 2008

Personal Vendetta

WARNING !!! VERY SUBJECTIVE POST INDEED !!!

At the moment of writng, the Olympics medals table tells me that China are on equal footing with the USA, with 32 medals each, DESPITE the fact that China have 20 gold medals, and the USA just 10.

This incenses me. Why can't the IOC allow a points distribution, say 3 for gold, 2 for sliver, 1 for bronze?

In that case, China would have 79 points and the USA would have 61 points. Korea are still third!!!

What confuses me even further is that China are seen to be top of the table because they have more golds.

I wish Michael Phelps well, but I await the women's gymnastics when in my opinion, China will sweep the board. They already have the team gold and I actually saw the performances on the A-Bars and the floor. Those two little girls were priceless. There are two more golds there ready for the taking, in the individual competitions.

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Yes, I agree, that was a subjective post. For a moment, I thought it was even going to be vindictive. My reply? GO USA!!! :-)

I like your suggestion, but keep in mind in some competitions the winner gets the gold and the loser gets the bronze in the final, while a person not even in the final gets the silver. Plus, having homefield advantage is usually worth at least a few gold medals, among the major countries; usually several actually.

Russia is so far down the list they had to invade Georgia to change the focus of their people's attention from the Olympics. Where is Japan hiding in this Olypics anyway? Australia has overtaken South Korea according to my Yahoo News. By the way, I would rank South Korea as the real winner in this Olympics. I think they have been incredible, given their population. Yeah, let's toss in a population factor to this medals thing too. That's it for now. GO USA!!! ;-)