I have to say this because I really feel strongly about it.
Four years after the Korea/Japan World cup had thousands upon thousands of Koreans on the streets, AT NIGHT, with their LITTLE CHILDREN upon their Dad's shoulder's, watching the most exciting games, completely safe, England decide to copy the format.
England's first game in this World Cup was against Paraguay, at 2pm, in the afternoon, and England had large screens (Just like Korea did) in city centers for the fans to watch.
Seems it failed. Some stupid "fans" decided it would be a "good idea" to throw bottles at the screens because they did not like the soccer.
This resulted in unrest and the police were forced to intervene. City center shops were forced to close their doors (in Liverpool) in fear of looting. This took place at about 3pm, in the AFTERNOON.
The screens were closed down and the decision was made to not do it again for any other World Cup matches.
Nothing even LIKE this happened at any of the big screens last time here in Korea. All kids were safe, all adults were well-behaved, and all "minor elements" were non-existent. Infact, all parties were joyous.
What Korea achieved during the last World Cup was a "United Nation".
England's attempt failed miserably because there are still some people there in England who do not belong to the social enclave, but in the caves instead, and that funnily enough, have just been discovered beneath Liverpool's sandstone bedrock...... Sorry, unintentional pun there!
I feel honoured to have lived in Korea, but am ashamed now to have even known England as a place to live in.
Long live the public giant screens of Korea!
May they teach the World a thing or two about unification.
My point being, here in Korea, Dads and Mums can take their Children out to a public place late at night, to enjoy a family event. They can even walk home in the dark streets safely. ...
Can the West claim similar?
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
The Children are our Future
Attested by
AkiToo
at
6/27/2006 12:05:00 am
Labels: Comment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hi - you seem a bit down on Liverpool. It certainly has its rough bits but i always found it a great place to live.
Britain has always had the attitude that football is mainly enjoyed by working-class men and linked closely with drink. TV advertising here links the game closely with alcohol, and we wonder why a drink culture has grown round the game!!!
I would agree Korea has never had that historical baggage associated with the game and is indeed the better for it.
This makes the attempt to make events like the World Cup family friendly is a little uneasy. Particularly as most of our known hooligans were not allowed to travel to Germany and were therefore around to cause trouble at the big screens..........
In 2002 it was all a bit easier as the screens were mainly in the workplace and school because of the timing of games.
Yes they let us down and im sorry it upset you - but i really hope you being ashamed of England is an overreaction. I'd be really sorry if you forgot all our good points!
Don't get me wrong....I liked Liverpool, and just loved England, especially fish and chips and Gazza.
I was just making a comparison, and I hope a striking one.
Actually having watched Englands match tonight I can now quite understand the need to have a drink while you watch ........!!!!!!!
Well, I stayed up to watch the Portugal match, and came to the conclusion that England are manned by a Genius (Gerrand), 9 fools, and a complete idiot (Rooney).
PLUS, they never COULD compare wiuth anyone on penalties.
I had a bet with one of my English chatters, that if England won, I would send him my panties worn at the time.
Seems I was right to make the bet!!!!!
Akiko - you are right to be pretty confident of that bet, you could have been even safer by betting on the Penalty Shoot-out. With your advanced grasp of Statistics and Probability you would have calculated that the chances of England winning a Penalty Shootout are astronomically low (but not non-zero thanks to beating Spain in this way once in a blue moon).
If i'd known your underwear was up for grabs i might have proposed such a bet myself.......
Post a Comment