Saturday, December 20, 2008

Deliverance

Photography has a lot of science in it. I have a Nikon F3, with real film. I recently took this of my cousin Yuko. I am very proud of the way it has turned out, and she loves it.




Reasons why this photo is good: 1. It is black and white (Ilford FP4). Her skin is brown Asian skin, and B/W always shows up that sheen best. 2. I used a centre focus filter (a piece of frosted glass with a clear hole). This I oriented to concentrate on the top left of the photo to focus her hair and eyes. Notice how her lips are not quite in focus, and her hands out of focus. 3. I used a 200 mm lens to throw the background completely out of focus.

The imagery is to portray the innocence of her face, rather than the desperation of the pose, but to suggest both. Also, I asked her to tilt her head further back to expose the vulnerability of her delicate neck, serving a double purpose, as if she is looking to Heaven for deliverance from that same vulnerability.

The exposure was f5.4, at 1/60 second, 100 ASA film, 200 mm lens, Nikon F3, Benbow tripod. Only three attempts needed. Centre focus filter, hand-held in front of the lens (the holder would not allow the selective "top-left" view).

I am very proud of this, as it is as incongruous with Yuko's personality as is a rose among thorns.

1 comment:

Wyman Stewart said...

Don't know much about picture taking, but I have learned on my own that black and white photography has its own special and unique qualities. For those skilled in bringing out those qualities, this must be a real artistic joy.