This astonishing video appeared in 1985 in England from Norwegian (Yes, you did read it right !) band A-Ha. It was a top 5 in the UK charts. Astonishing because there are no computers involved.
Nothing had ever been done like this before, and it was WAY before videos became 'Statements, Harrumph', and before any directors were complacent about the facilities at their disposal.
I ask that you play it for the sheer genius it was. It actually has a story.
It a feast for the eyes. A wonder to behold.
This is ...... a.....
Monday, September 10, 2007
Take On Me.........?
Attested by
AkiToo
at
9/10/2007 07:55:00 pm
Labels: Music
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Take On Me--Aha!!! Don't mind if I do. I thought maybe I had seen this video, but since the girl did not hop on his motorcycle at the end, I guess not. ;-) I own the 45 I like the song so well and I am sorry to say in the USA, to my knowledge, Aha never had any follow-up hits.
As for the video's creativity, I compare all music videos to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, which it seemed, forever, was the closest thing you could find to a video with some creative thought to it. By video standards I would have to rate this Aha video a masterpiece.
I am sure others may offer whatever comparison videos there are out there, for I think there was a period of time where videos did try to get creative, but I not only do not recall what years those were in the 80s, videos still stunk in all but a few cases. I almost hate to mention the name, but I think Peter Gabriel did a decent job of putting art/creativity into his music videos for a time. Sadly, I did not like most of his music, whatever the quality of his videos.
Frankly, it is hard to think of any great music videos. Oddly enough the Beatles, many years prior to the video age, made musical short films (old folk videos ha ha ha), which are superior to most everything else out there even today. The irony of all this is videos became so important to "making a band", it helped kill off 45 singles by forcing visuals on everyone, thus taking away the human imagination. As a Kinks album was later called, everything became "Think Visual", when making music. (Sorry about the soapbox.)
To close, had all videos aspired to the quality and creativity of this Aha video, then the loss of the 45 single might not have been as painful to me as it has been. Since the movie Blackboard Jungle helped refuel a song called "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and His Comets, which helped lead to an explosion called Rock n' Roll, the video age could have spawned several mini Blackboard Jungle-like video inspirations, filled with the creativeness of the Aha video. Then we would have had something to be excited about to this day. Thank you, I truly enjoyed seeing and commenting on this precious gem. Now, I am going to Stray Cat Strut outta here. Meowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment