Monday, February 13, 2006

The Face of Defeat

(NB Another subjective post - sorry, I will get to the "persistence" of numbers soon)


This is the face of the Ladies' Ice Hockey Goalminder from the Italian team. Her name is Deborah, or, to put it more succinctly, "Deb".

She is "reeling" from a 16-0 defeat by Canada in the recent Winter Olympics.

She is now famous for a completely bad reason - this was the single most heavy defeat by any Ice Hockey team since the beginning of the Winter Olympiade in 1924.

A shut-out of cataclysmic proportions.

AND what is worse, the team upon whom it was inflicted was the Host Nation! !!! (shrieks - computer guys, you know what I mean!) unlimited.

2 comments:

AkiToo said...

I made a pun on her name, Dan.

"Deb" is common for an abbreviated "Deborah", but it is also common for an abbreviated "Debutante", the upper-class name for a young girl's launching into "society".

I was punning that this goalminder has had her "Debutante" . In other words, she will never forget THIS in all of her born days.

All this from just the simple word "Deb".

Makes you wonder, Dan, how much more is concealed in my posts.....

AkiToo said...

Daniel, this is the guy who thinkls a cylnder is a cone, and who doesn't know that degrees are used to measure only plane angles, not solid ones, AND who is often wrong but never admits it even when it has been proved to him.